We are a family-owned K-12 used bookseller in operation since 2008 located in Tempe near Southern and Hardy. Established outside sales team needs a solid inside salesperson to lead in the direct sales of textbooks to schools and school districts across the nation and grow into a position of leadership and success in our company. We already have a purchasing and sales presence in many schools nationwide but need a consistent long-term full time sales and customer management lead/manager who can grow into team leadership over time. At first it would be you plus one part time person, along with part time administrative help and established teams for logistics, shipping and quoting that work alongside you.
This manager will build lifelong customers by cultivating current relationships and by creating and maintaining new relationships with schools and districts and the appropriate staff within those entities. This involves determining the needs of customers, finding solutions in which Walker Bookstore can uniquely meet those needs, and ensuring customers have all their needs met throughout the quoting and ordering process. The sales team’s success provides 30 college/temporary employees jobs for the summer and results in tens of thousands of satisfied customers.
Job Description and Details
· Run, grow and eventually manage a small inside sales team, which sells directly to schools & districts nationwide.
· Maintain and manage current customer base to ensure retention.
· Further develop existing customer relationships and build and maintain new customers.
· Some cold-calling of business customers involved, but there is a strong base of warm leads and existing customers to develop and maintain.
· Manage customer database and keep detailed records of the sales, quoting and ordering process in our customer management system.
· Work with and maintain clear communication with quoting and bulk order processing team to make sure the quoting and ordering process is smoothly run.
· Initially involves extensive training and mentorship for support as you learn this business.
· Ensure that tasks get done that are essential to the successful operation of our small business.
· Set an example to your team of hard work, a desire to learn, critical thinking, positive attitude, good communication, kindness, integrity, patience, dedication, and accountability.
· Over time, build and manage a team of inside sales associates and administrative staff as demands require to ensure cost-effectiveness and success in all areas.
Necessary Qualifications & Desired Traits
· Bachelor’s Degree or similar experience preferred.
· Sales and/or customer service/account management experience. Educational industry or experience selling to schools or government entities a plus but not necessary.
· We will be counting on you for our success.
· Strong mathematical abilities. (This is tested pre-hire.)
· Desire and willingness to learn.
· Willingness and ability to work 50 to 70 hours a week with very limited or no vacation time from May 1 to September 30th (80% of our business is in this time frame).
· Strong communication skills (face to face, phone and written).
· Experience with cold calling or prospecting new customers is a plus.
· Highly organized individual who works with great attention to detail.
· Ability to work well with others in team setting.
· Ability to lead and supervise a small team and build that team as needs dictate.
· Fast learner who is self-motivated.
· Critical thinker who will generate and suggest ideas of how to grow once they understand our business and sales process.
· Asks appropriate questions to ensure success and maintains positive communication and an amiable work environment.
· Ability to pass pre-employment and regular unannounced drug tests.
Salary and Benefits
Pay is $60,000-75,000 salaried to start, plus yearly bonuses based on performance. Because our busy season is summer this will be your salary through the first summer. We are seasonal and do not do base plus commission on a real time basis because of the major ebb and flow of our income due to our market. Second year income will be salaried at a minimum of $70,000 for a successful sales manager, based on yearly performance (bonus/commission earned spread out throughout the year to allow you a consistent and dependable income stream). This is adjusted yearly based on yearly performance. One outside purchasing and sales representative has made $150,000 a year for the last two years.· Health insurance available first of the month after 60 days of employment, we pay 50% of employee and dependents. Employee-sponsored IRA after making at least $5000 in each of 2 calendar years. Ability to get approval to take extra vacation and work reduced hours in the winter (October 1-April 15) once you are established in your position.
Walker Bookstore is a small, growing company started by two married former mathematics teachers. We have a relaxed environment, free of many of the hassles of your typical corporate workplace. While you will be given sales goals, this is not your typical high-pressure sales position. Success will come easily for the right candidate, and you will have all the necessary tools to far exceed your goals. We are here as a resource for your success and will be invested in helping you succeed. Your ability to grow is only limited by your willingness to learn, ability to humble yourself to ask questions, and to put in the hard work necessary for success.
Interested candidates should email your resume and cover letter stating the position for which you are applying. This cover letter should mention relevant experience, one asset you believe you would uniquely bring to this position, one challenge (personally or on the job) that you have overcome, and your favorite thing to do in your free time. Potential candidates will be contacted to set up a series of interviews.