We are a family-run, woman-owned and operated used bookstore and buy and sell kindergarten – 12th grade textbooks. We operate out of an air conditioned warehouse at Southern and Hardy in Tempe. Starting wage for new employees is $14-20/hour and can easily grow over time to over $40/hour depending on experience and longevity with the company. Strong veteran preference in hiring. We are looking for people who will grow into long-term leadership positions in our company in a variety of areas.
Successful team members perform with a high degree of excellence and accuracy and adapt to the changing operational, logistical, and staffing needs of the business throughout the day and year. Our team hires 30 college students each summer, training and utilizing them to achieve optimal efficiency. Effective training of our employees is key. Quality candidates will maintain appropriate quality control procedures to check accuracy of employee work and evaluate effectiveness of training. When mistakes happen, core employees always have to scramble to fix them. Stopping them before they become a problem is a trait of a good team member. We want people who can create and maintain a positive, upbeat, encouraging, motivating, and cohesive culture of hard work, high accuracy, efficiency, and attention to detail among both long-term and short-term seasonal (college student) staff.
Our team members fill various positions in the process of finding, purchasing, processing, sorting, listing, picking, and shipping books throughout the country. Our core full-time employees are sometimes required to work up to 60 hours per week in the months of June-September. The roles and responsibilities vary based on each person’s capabilities and strengths. We have leadership roles available that involve travel and others that are full time in Arizona in our warehouse, and everything in between. During the summer season some extended hours and overtime are available as needed/desired.
Qualifications and Desired Traits (some positions require more of some than others):
- Bachelor’s Degree or prior management experience preferred.
- Willingness and ability to work 50 to 70 hours a week with very limited or no vacation time from May 1 to September 30th (80% of our business is in this time frame). Our core work hours are 7am-3:30pm so you must be able to work those hours Monday-Friday year-round.
- Solid basic mathematical, analytical and problem-solving abilities. (tested pre-hire)
- Strong computer skills.
- Be able to lift 20 – 50 pound boxes 10-30 times per 8 hour shift. Help is often available with this, but employees should be able to do this at the minimum. Some shifts may require lifting more than 100 times in a shift, but that is limited to certain employees physically able to do so safely. You will regularly stoop, stand, and climb up and down ladders and stairs.
- Flexible and versatile, able to do varying tasks throughout days and weeks.
- Detail oriented.
- Good administrative, delegation, and leadership skills.
- Type at least 40 words per minute
- Keep and maintain accountability for materials and equipment.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Be willing to show how to work by doing the work alongside staff, and be willing to do all jobs they are expected to do.
- Dependable and reliable
- Be willing to be humble enough to ask appropriate questions as situations occur. We do not have black and white rules for everything.
- Have genuine interest in the welfare of the entire organization, including employee welfare and company profit levels.
- Be able to change work direction or work team allocation mid-task at a moment’s notice.
- Experience operating a forklift (we can provide classes and certification) and/or driving a 26’ box truck, with reasonably clean driving record, is a bonus but not a requirement for all employees.
Salary and Benefits:
- Pay is $14-20/hour and up depending on experience (includes mandatory 10-20 hours per week of overtime in the summer)
- Health insurance available first of the month after 60 days of employment, we pay 50% of employee and dependents.
- More flexible work schedule and extra time off available in winter (October-April) to make up for longer hours in the summer months.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should use the form below to send your resume and cover letter, or email to email@example.com. This cover letter should mention one asset you believe you would uniquely bring to this position, one challenge (personally or on the job) that you have overcome, and a brief description of your related employment history. Potential candidates will be contacted to set up a series of interviews.